Spotify is a streaming music service with an enormous song library and a pretty slick mobile app. You can listen to everyone from Emile Sande to Eminem, from your phone or desktop PC. Spotify offers both a free and premium version of the service, with the paid version costing $9.99 per month. They go through great lengths to put together curated song lists, making it easy to discover new music you love.
What people like
- Huge song catalogue means you can listen to over 4 million songs across every era and genre.
- Offline streaming allows you to save albums and playlists and listen to them even when you’re not connected to the internet, great to have when you’re traveling or on an airplane.
- Social functionality makes it easy to share music with friends or discover music your connections are listening to.
- In addition to album versions, Spotify also has a great selection of acoustic and live versions of your favorite songs.
What people dislike
- Recently, some artists have taken to releasing albums without making them available on Spotify. This has included Taylor Swift, Kanye West, and Beyonce. Though the albums generally make it onto Spotify eventually.
Simply put, if you enjoy listening to music Spotify is a no-brainer. Being able to have just about any song or any album at your fingertips is worth far more than the $10 per month they charge. The app is brilliantly designed and a joy to use, and their discovery features make it a breeze to find new music that suits your tastes.
Most importantly though, offline playlists is what really seals the deal for me. Being able to listen to hundreds (or even thousands) of songs on long flights is something I couldn’t do without.